Monday, September 20, 2010

Settling in to Lubbock

Sorry I only just got around to doing this post. Things have been a little rough with the kids since we moved. I didn't realize moving would turn their world upside down! JJ hasn't slept through the night since we moved, and even went through a phase of crying a couple of hours every night for no reason. Oli wouldn't sleep in his bed the first week we were here and kept crying and saying "go home" it was so sad!! We've been here just over a month now and they are both finally starting to settle in!
Our new apt


Tim is settling into graduate school really well. He's taking Statistics and Family Theory classes. He's really enjoying them so far. He's also helping a professor teach an Infant Development class which he is really excited about.

Life in Lubbock is pretty slow, it has a nice small town feel but there's still enough here that it doesn't feel too small. Everyone is really nice too. There's not a lot else outside of Lubbock, just fields for a long time! Since we moved here we've been to Dallas (about 6 hours away) to see Tyson & Sara and to Colorado Springs (about 9 hours) to see our friends from Provo and the Air Force game (which we lost quite badly-sad). This weekend was the Texas Tech, Texas football game so there was madness here in Lubbock, and now since they lost the whole town is in mourning, it's a pretty big deal here. It's been consistently very hot and humid, and we've had a few storms in which the roads were flooded in about 5 mintues, it was crazy!
Oli playing in the rain puddles

Unfortunately I've been eaten alive by bugbites (Tim and the boys haven't had any just me!) We've also had at least half a dozen cockroaches in the kitchen. Nice. I'm really liking our new apartment though, it's bigger than our last one and the best thing is:
Big walk in closet!
I'm enjoying life being a mum, it's nice taking things slow and not having to worry about homework and babysitters. Oliver is as demanding as ever, and we're starting to try potty training again, he was doing pretty well before we left but we took a huge step back because he was so stressed on moving. The hardest thing about not living in Provo is being away from family and friends, we really miss everyone, especially Tim's family having them so close before.

So, all in all, it's been a month of ups and downs but we're finally starting to settle in.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a cute apartment. Glad to hear you're settling in xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want you to settle in :( come home! hahah jk I miss you guys so much! I love you all. send me your address so I can write. PS...Mike and I are going to start planning a trip to texas for next spring :) I'm hopin we can stay a couple days with you guys and a couple with sara/tyson. ya?

    ReplyDelete