Monday, May 10, 2010

New Baby Boy!!!

So our new baby boy Jordan James (JJ) is now just over a week old.



Here's the story of last Sunday:

So I wake up on Sunday morning (May 2-my due date!) at 4am with quite painful contractions...I'm very excited because I'm thinking, maybe I'll have a baby by lunchtime! For the past week I had been SO ready to have this baby, very uncomfortable and exhausted. By 8am my contractions had slowed down and weren't very regular. By 10am they had completely stopped, so I was disappointed. I continued to have random ones throughout the day, everytime one came I got excited and would start timing, but then I wouldn't have one for a while again. Finally around 3pm they started up again and were quite intense...they continued for a couple of hours to get stronger, closer together and longer. By 5 30pm I had gone from happy I was in labour to focusing more on the pain! We got in to the hospital around 6pm, I was only dilated to 3cm so I was disappointed because I felt like I was further along!
Me a couple of hours before delivery

An hour and a half later my waters broke and I got an epidural...finally! 2 hours later I was ready to push! I pushed about 20 minutes and JJ was here...it was such a relief. With Oliver I was pushing for 2 and a half hours.....it was tough! So this time it almost felt easy! My whole labour experience this time was really enjoyable.

JJ weighed 7 pounds 14 ounces and was 20 inches long, bigger than Oliver, which I could tell by the way I carried him. He nursed about minutes after he was born, he already knew what to do! I was really happy about that too because nursing was a struggle with Oli for a while. We stayed in the hospital for a couple of days and came home Tuesday afternoon with a new happy, healthy baby.
Introducing: Jordan James Oblad

Our little family

This week has been interesting, I'm so glad my mum has been here helping with Oliver....otherwise I don't know what I would have done! JJ is a really good baby, his days are switched with nights right now so he's not very good at sleeping at night! I had to take him in to the hospital every day to get his bilirubin levels checked, on Friday he had gotten so high that we had to get the bili lights (again-same thing with Oliver). Basically its a little suitcase with lights in it that are supposed to help cure the jaundice, I've no idea how it works scientifically, something to do with red blood cells. Anyway, it's hard to keep them in the suitcase, only taking them out for feeding and changing. He especially didn't want to be in there at night, so we had a few sleepless nights this weekend! Yesterday morning I took him in for another check and he's low risk now so I'm glad he only had to be under the lights for a few days!

My mum leaves on Tuesday so I'm nervous for it to be just me and the boys but I'm really happy and loving being at home with my little ones!

4 comments:

  1. so cute! Congrats Alyce! I am happy everything went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your blog! Now we have one more way to keep in touch when you move to Tx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Alyce, Tim and Oli!!! You have a cute little family! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. JJ's such a beautiful baby Alyce, congrats! Sometimes with two it's rough at first, but you'll find a groove that works. Let me know if you need anything...

    I'm excited I found your blog. Ours is akswanfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete